Old 05-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by katier825
Hey Billy, that guitar is awesome! Is it yours?
No I have one similar to it, mine is an Ibanez RG. That one is an Ibanez Jem with the Dip finish. That one is about $2500 more than the one I own but I have all of the guts out of the Jem in mine so it sounds about the same.

I have done a few finishes like that on several guitars it is really neat how it is done.

After you paint the base color on the body then you take a 55 gallon drum fill it 3/4 the way full of water. Then you put a few drops of paint in the water in several spots then take a paint stick and sorta swirl it around. Then you take the body and you slowly dip it into the water wiggling and moving it around to achieve the effect.

After its all the way int the water then you take a paper towel and get the paint off of the surface and then pull the guitar body out.

You repeat this with different colors until you have the look you want. Usually it takes 4 to 5 colors to really make it stand out. I also do a marbling effect to guitars that look really realistic. I did our dining room table and people keep asking me how much does it weigh and how much did the marble top set you back!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also have done this type of finish to a Show Bike and everyone was thoroughly blown away. It won several best paint awards and was featured in several magazines.

Billy