View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by Barb M
Yes, and you have to think too, ok, if a quilt has a really great design aspect to it, like both of these do, it can look great on paper, but how is it for making one? For instance, in the red and blck check chain, in order to be able to do enough of the X blocks to bring out the pattern, number one, this would have to be a fairly large qui8lt, and number two, most irish chain blocks i have done are down in strip piecing with 2 inch strips, and they make a 10" block, so even if you were to go as small as 1" strips, that would still give you a huge 15" block, and with an irish chain, you cannot do just 2 or 3 blocks across, usually at least 5 to 7 blocks across, just to bring out the chain pattern. Sooooooo, if you use only 5 blocks across to b ring out the pattern, which is not very many, and with tiny little 1" strips, your quilt would be 95" 's across! hmmm, like that's great that its a nice patter, actually a super pattern, but would it be something others would want to do? I know i would not love the idea of doing 1" strips myself, because the smaller the strips, the more a quilt wants to wobble. But i guess also that is where you decide on the skill level of a qquilt, and maybe one like this would need to be labelled for more advanced quilters maybe? I mean, i have done a 1" irish chain wallhanging, so i gu3ess i shouldnt say i wouldnt do it, i just know it was hard to keep it all straight, but it is do-able.
Would it make it any easier to do if you sewed three long strips (like 1"x 42") together and cut the Rail Road blocks out of that (as opposed to cutting out individual 1"x3" strips and sewing them together)?