View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Barb M

I think the difference between being a dreamer, and a person achieving their dreams, depending on what their dreams are, lies in the attitude of of whining about what others won't do for you, and a person going out and doing what they can do themselves to achieve their goals. Unfortunately there are many many of us that spend our lives whinging about what others have and we don't have, or whining that i'll never be able to do this cus it's all so and so's fault that they won't help me. I'm sorry, but i think this needs to be your turning point, where you decide your dreams and goals, and how you are going to achieve them, not how someone else will achieve your goals for you, how you will, because it is your dream to accomplish this. So here come's a speach, did you ask for an opinion, yes, do i care, yes, or i wopuldnt bother saying any of this. There are many many creative people in this world, you are one of them. There are many creative people here. K, here's some examples. Many people would like to write a book and have it published (im not talking quilting, just using writing as aqn example). Do you know how many would-be-authors out the4re have written books??? I bet you, there are more book manuscripts sitting in people's homes, than actually get published. That is because there is a difference. Three types of writers. Some people enjoy writing, poetry and journal writing, all for their personal enjoyment and creativity, and that is good. Then there are those that want to write, not just for the personal enjoyment of it, but to have their writing published and do thaqt for 6their living. Soooo, those that want to be professionals, some write their manuscripts, and leave them sitting in their homes, cus they have no clue how to get it published or anything, and don't take the time to learn and research how to get a book published, before they try and do it, so they are being wishful thinkers, but with no action behind their ide4as. The ones that get published are the one4s that have the id4ea, research it, maybe take a class on how to have a book published, it costs money to get a book published, all these things, so they work, have a job, so they can pay for the classes they want to take, and the computer they will need, etc etc etc, and then wow, their book gets published. Did it just happen by accident? No. Did it happen cus they whined that their friends didnt help them? No. It happened cus th4ey worked very hard to do it. Now, when someone writes a book, and it sells, they get paid money for it. Who does the money go to? The author...does it go to all their friends? No, because it goes to the person that did all the hard work. Now, quilting, i think most of us here on the forum are very very creative. Think how many times someone does a quilt, and someone says, oh, can you tell me how you did that? And of course, we are eager to share our creativity, and should be. Thats because this is our love, our creativity, but not ne4ceswsarily our profession. Do you know why quilters like to buy quilt patterns??? Yes we like being creative, but sometimes we like to have it all figured out for us, so we don't have to do the work. So we pay money for a pattern, and the person that published the pattern deserves the money, because they went above and beyond, researching, sweating, doing what they had to do, to put this all together, it cost them money to take classes, whether it be qui8lting classes, whether it be a class on publishing patterns, and this persons hard work and financial investment, for a pattern i would like to do, i don't mind paying for something if it makes things easier for me to do