View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Butterflyblue

IA friend had a baby prematurely and I made this for her. It's a trip around the world in the colors of the rainbow. I used all fabric from my stash. It pretty much cleaned me out of oranges and purples. I actually had to "borrow" a purple from my mother-in-law. (Is it borrowing if she will never get it back without stealing it from a baby?)

I called the NICU and got the dimensions of the quilts they use to cover the isolettes, and so the new parents should be able to use it right away. It's three feet by four feet.

It went together pretty fast, and I was amazed to compare it to my first quilt, the only other quilt I've done that was just squares (well, and four big machine-applique blocks). My skills at matching corners have improved SO MUCH. The first quilt, the corners were off sometimes as much as half and inch. You can't tell at a glance, though, because when I tied it, I put the yarn ties over the corners of the blocks in order to hide them. :) Of course, it's been five years or so since I finished that first quilt.

The backing is pulled to the front for the binding. I wanted to bind it in the navy blue but the original blue fabric I used turned out to be poor quality. I had to rip the stitches and take the blue borders off the ends, and put a different blue on, and there wasn't enough to bind it, as well. I think it would have looked much better with the dark blue as binding, but oh well.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-56862.jpe