View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Lisa T

I found the last one I gave at a wedding. This was for a Christmas zigzag quilt.

Here is some random information about your new handmade quilt.
I chose a zigzag pattern because it’s a fun pattern and you are both fun people! I tried to choose happy, cheerful fabrics so that you smile when you use the quilt.
I know that you guys are into recycling and being kind to Mother Earth. A couple of the zigzags in here are made from vintage fabric. The white fabric with green polka dots was given to my mom by Uncle Sonny’s new wife, Doris. She got it at an auction and gave it to my mom, but I stole it right away for this quilt. It was perfect!
Cotton fabric has a life span of 80 years, so as long as you are kind to it, this quilt will last as long as your marriage! Speaking of which, please wash in cold water, gentle cycle. It has not been washed yet, so you may choose to do that right away to remove the sizing on the fabric. If you dry your quilt in a clothes dryer it will get a nice, sort of crinkly old-fashioned look. If you want it to stay more crisp, like it looks now, just wash and hang dry, and then iron. (I personally like the crinkly look.)
For stains I find that an oxygen-based cleaner works best. Just soak it in a tub and then wash as normal. If you store your quilt in a cotton pillowcase or the case that it came in, it will last longer and the colors will stay brighter. Try not to close it up in a Rubbermaid type of tote as it can’t breathe in there.
I hope that you can use this quilt for many many Christmases and that all the future little Olives will remember snuggling under it to watch A Christmas Story!