Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 AM
ajpadilla

I, too, free motion quilted for years without anything but a free motion foot. On large quilts, however, I did get tired dealing with all that weight. I then decided to use the gardening gloves and that worked so much better! The problem, though, is having to put them on and take them off repeatedly. I tried cutting the tips of household gloves and that worked, too, but I still had the problem of having to take them off and put them back on constantly.

I have now finally hit on something that works for me. I do work at a large table with an additional folding table butted up against it on my left side to hold the weight. I did invest in a Supreme Slider and absolutely love it. And I then cut a piece of rubber matting 5 x 6", that I use in my left hand to grip the quilt. (I usually hold my right hand under the quilt, so don't really need anything there). I can then let go of the piece of matting at any point and when I need to continue quilting I just pick it up again.

I paid $1.80 for a 12" x 59" piece. I don't see a brand name on the package - just says "Clean Living" and the suggested uses are for all purpose kitchen, bathroom, etc. I also cut a piece of this to slip under the machine pedal to keep it from sliding all over the place.