Thread: AccuQuilt Go
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 AM
thequilteddove

I am an advid user & I actually sell the AccuQuilt Go Cutter products. Unlike most retailers, I have no problem giving my view on this product.

When I first starting using the cutter I wasn't 100% impressed. HOWEVER, the more I used it, the more I came to enjoy using it.

Things I discovered:
- I find if I do a sample block & then take the time to plan ahead for the rest of the quilt, I waste less fabric & time.
- When I cut my fabric 1/2" wider than the die (the actual part of the die that cuts that is), there is a lot less fabric waste.
- I favor the 12" sampler kit. When I finish my special projects, I cut leftovers in to 4" strips and then I can whip up a scrappy quilt together in no time.
- I take real the scrappy scraps & use the die cutter on them. I package them up according to shape so that I can later throw them in to a scrappy project. Pre go cutter, I never used my scraps!
- Do NOT cut more than 6 layers of cotton fabric at a time or it will affect the performance of the cutter as well as the accuracy of the cut.
- I found it a little misleading when it comes to how perfect your blocks should look. Do NOT expect that you should produce perfect blocks. Too many factors play in to that (factors that have nothing to do w/the cutter). Factors like the grain of the fabric when sewing pieces together. The accuracy of your 1/4 seam. All the same things that would affect your ability to produce a perfect block when you rotary cut, still come in to play when you use the Go cutter.
- If you like to mass produce quilts kits, say for charities, it really makes it more fun & a bit faster to put the kits together. I use it extensively to put together kits for QOV projects. Then my ladies just pick up a kit, sew it 2gether & give it back :)
- When mass producing, it really does save time.
- The AccuQuilt Company really stands behind it's product.
If there is any manufacturer defects, they will replace the item.
- The only die that I've tried & absolutely have no use for so far is the rag die... You can only cut one or two layers of flannel at a time & only one layer of fleece at a time. This die seems to chew up the mats. Heavy use of fleece & flannel will wear out the gears on the cutter. Plus I don't particulary like rag quilts lol

So is a Go cutter a must - no... Neither are 2/3s of the rulers or other quilting products we buy lol Will you enjoy using it? I believe you will, especially once you get to know how best to use it :)

If anyone ever has any questions (whether you purchase from me or not), I'd be more than happy to help.