View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 05:24 AM
mpspeedy

Hi all,

I am from the very old school. I tear my fabric for borders etc. You end up with a lot of strings if the fabric is fairly loosely woven but you know it is straight. It is really hard to cut long strips straight because you have to fold the fabric in order to fit it on a cutting surface.
I have one of those big cutting tables in my basement but have moved my sewing operation upstairs. In my current sewing room I have a bedroom type dresser what used to be called a tallboy. It orginally had legs that I had my husband cut off. It is now perfect height. It makes my cutting and ironing surface at 36.5 inches. After 40 years of sewing and quilting I have a lot of back, neck and wrist issues. I also suffer from a rare autoimmune disease that causes weak muscles. The dresser is not only the right height it offers lots of storage for my quilt notions, markers, rotory cuts, stabilizers etc. It even holds my secret stash of chocolate. I purchased two of those wire kitchen food wrap holders and hung them on the sides. They hold my rolls of embroidery stablizers and one section holds my little travel iron. Over the dresser I mounted one of those potlid hangers from the dollar store. It is a great place to put many of my rulers etc.
When I figure out how to attach photos to this site I will send some of my sewing room set up.

mpspeedy