View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM
patricej
Administrator

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I never gave it much thought till now, but why is polly/cotton suppose to be bad? I have always been taught 100% cotton only in quilts, and I just pitched a garbage bag FULL of polly/cotton blends away.So heres a question for you (because I dont know) if you use polly/cotton fabric, can you use cotton quilting thread? Keep in mind I am a hand quilter, and use cotton quilting thread.
i don't really understand all the fuss about polyester and blends in quilts. i made a choice a few years ago to stick to all-cotton, but not because i think poly is "wrong". i just found that cotton is easier to work with. since a wide variety of cotton is available online at prices i can afford (if you're willing to haunt the sale pages) i decided to switch.

it's said (by those who insist on all-cotton, of course :lol: ) that polyester fibres will cause cotton thread to break down sooner. sooner than what? in 500 years vs. 1000?

my guess is that polyester thread might not be as easy to use in hand quilting. i think you'd get more knots and gnarles. if you have some poly or blends left, try a small quilt and use your cotton quilting thread. if it performs well for you, then keep going. if you don't enjoy the experience, then stick with what does give you grins.