View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Carla P

Originally Posted by BarbC
I do charm swaps with friends. They are basically a cut piece of fabric and in a charm pack they would all be the same size.... like we swap 5" squares. You can google charm quilts and get lots of info on making them. Also there are books for using these charms.. my favorite are Nickel Quilts and More Nickel Quilts.

I am not as certain about jelly rolls... I believe they are packages of fabric that are rolled up and I think each piece is 2 1/2 " wide but I forget the length.

The fabric store or catalog should tell you the amount of fabric included in the pack or roll and that would help you compare it to a fat quarter, which is 1/4 of a yard, just cut in a different way than a true 1/4th yard.

So are you now more confused?? Barb C
I will only add this bit of info to Barb's comments, because she is telling you correctly, jelly rolls are made up of the strips cut WOF (width of fabric) of each fabric in an entire fabric line produced for a manufacturer. For example, a couple of years ago Moda released a line called "Seaside Rose" (I believe that's the correct name). It was a very popular line, but as with most all fabrics, once they're gone, they're gone for good. At least until I was at the quilt shop a few weeks back and saw the jelly roll for the first time; it was the same fabric, cut into strips, and rolled together tied with a Moda ribbon. (I guess they had a little more left over; who knows?) If you strip piece, I can see where these rolls would be a major time saving purchase, but only you will know if they justify the price.