View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 AM
wordmama

I taught my husband to sew on a button a number of years ago. He is very artistic and loves Xmas, so he started making ornaments of his own design from felt, beads and embroidery floss. Then he would do simple mending tasks by hand for his clients at work, mending little rips in seams or ripped out pockets, etc.

Last fall he started looking at sewing machines. He studied my Husqvarna and asked me all about the embroidery stitches and designs, but I really don't do that--I piece and FMQ some. I got a little nervous when he was using my machine. One day he did something funky and thought he had broken it and ran it out to the technician to get it fixed before I got home (whew!).

So he bought a Husqvarna Designer I (used) and started doing embroidery. Before he bought his machine he researched all the different brands on the Internet. He really wanted a Pfaff, but we don't have a local dealer. We had a couple of older machines that needed some work and he couldn't resist opening them up to see how they work, etc.

Long story short--he's now taking a course in basic sewing machine repair and I'm so excited for him, because he can get some of his questions answered (hopefully) that he's always asking me!

He's always drawn quilt patterns, but he doesn't ever piece them. He's always been very creative, drawing, designing, manipulating photos in neat ways, etc.

He is a gem (and I'm keeping him)!