Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 AM
amma
Power Poster

You may find that hand quilting will be as hard on your hands as knitting and crocheting and other handwork. I had to quit doing these things too, due to fibro.
I can quilt using a sewing machine. I rotate between cutting, pressing, pinning and sewing. I have everything laid out so that I can do some of each for a while. Switching back and forth, and getting up and moving around seem to help my hands, neck and back.

Seam rippers and other tools with bigger handles help, as well as stocking up on rotary cutting blades, the sharper they are, the less pressure needed to cut. Finding the suction cup handles for your rulers may help too. It may take the strain off of your wrists/arms. Putting the Invisigrip on the underside of the rulers also helps hold them in place, and puts less strain on arms/wrists/hands.

Make sure your cutting surface, sewing machine, ironing boards, etc... are the proper height for you.
Try to do some warm up exercises before you start, it really does help the muscles :wink: