Old 05-14-2010, 06:14 AM
wvdek

When I was diagnosed eeons ago, since I am not fond of meds because of how they can mess up other systems in your body, (Tylenol goes right to your liver and stays for too long and can cause problems after awhile) my Dr. recommended 1500 mg. of Feverfew a day. All natural get it at my neighborhood pharmacy for about $5.00 a bottle. Took about 35 days to see real improvement, but I did. He also said to get some exercise every day, use heat when necessary (I can't sleep on heating pad because it increases the pain and discomfort), rest even for five minutes, take a break every hour whether at computer watching tv or driving. Get a good nights sleep, eat healthier, cut out sugar, artificial sweeeners, white flour, caffeine, take ALeve or Advil as noted, realize my limitations but don't stop living. Good thing about Fibro is it is not life threatening, just a big pain in the ars. Dr. did put me on some of the earlier meds for this, but it messed with my gut. Then they pulled two of them off the market, so... I have been in 'remission' for about 13 months and just recently it has started up again.
I have raised my sewing table to a more comfortable height so as not to bother my neck and shoulders, raised my cutting table with the PVC pipe legs about 4 additional inches, use a nice Fiskars rotary cutter and Fiskars scissors, and not much else. NO hand quilting for me. Hurts my hands too much, howevr, I can still crochet and they will have to bury me before I give that up. Don't give in to the disease but learn your limitations, what works for you, give up some of those addictions (artificial sweeteners, caffeine, smoking, non-exercise) and you will be surprised how much better you will feel. And keep moving!