Old 05-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Aussie Quilter

I've had fibro for years, as well as arthritis, and some days are worse than others. Fibro does NOT like cold damp weather (can't do much about that) or Aspartame(950) - so anything marked diet is out.

I found sitting at a sewing machine played hell with my back and neck. Solved the problem by putting a 4" thick book under the pedal, and putting a 5" book under my other foot. Also bought 2 rubber door stops from the local supermarket for about $2. These I put under the back of my machine to tilt it forward, that way I'm not leaning over the machine to see what I'm doing. I do play safe and remove them when I leave the room - just in case, I can't afford to replace my machine. I also find that using the kitchen bench to cut out/press on really saves my back.

Lift and snip scissors are better than quick-unpick's, and safer also - less chance of cutting the wrong fabric. They are expensive, about $14 a pair, but worth 10 times that. I use Fiskars padded scissors for most of my cutting out. I find #11 milliners needles work best for me, and quilt on my knee - no hoop.

On the days when it is too cold inside, rather than turn the heater on I take everything out onto the front deck and sit in the sun to get/keep warm. Hang the housework, no good fairies live here, and what isn't done today will still be there tomorrow!

The electric under blanket has to be the best thing invented for fibro sufferers, and a 4 legged moggy for a back warmer helps too. :-)