Old 05-15-2010, 06:41 PM
vickig626

I felt the same way about using a cane so I found a cool purple print one at a local medical supply store. I think I paid around $20 for it. And, it folds up so I can put it in my bag on days I need it with me.

I've had fibro and arthritis for over 10 years now and have just learned to deal with it and not keep me down. Like everyone has posted, do what you can on your good days and take it easy on your bad days. Don't push yourself when you start hurting or feel weary. Take frequent breaks and use heat packs or warm/hot showers when you need them.

The tools I've found helpful --
- Martelli rotary cutter. It does help on the wrist strain.
- Fons & Porter Seam Ripper - with its ergonomic handle, it seems to take the strain off my hand when using it.
- I found some small rubber disks (about 1-1/2" diameter) that helps with pulling needle through the fabric.

Not so helpful -- I've tried those suction cup handles on the rulers but either can't get used to them or they just seem to cause more pain.

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I have Systemic Lupus and have recently been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis as well. Like raptureready's Mother I hand piece and quilt and have now decided to work more with machines. Her secret is mine too, do things in "bites", so no sitting, standing or staying on one task for long periods and keep as mobile as you can, without overdoing it. Staying warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather is important...I use fingerless gloves, wheat bags etc in winter which helps a lot. I don't use any "aids" as such,
'cept a walking cane may be a necessity soon - I am looking around trying to find one that I deem "cool" enough to use...but then again I am a stubborn individual and hate the idea of becoming doddery!
:lol: :lol: :lol: