Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 AM
poultney

I have begun putting my fabric on the boards. I got my corregated plastic sheets from a sign maker for $12.00 for a 4'x8' sheet. He didn't keep them in stock but he ordered them and had them the next day for me. I bought 6 sheets to begin. As Alaskasunshine told me, I did have to adjust my size of height of board to fit the shelves of my bookcase. I am using the large coated paperclips at top and bottom to hold.

I purchased the comic boards from a site on the internet. I called and talked to them first and they knew just what I was talking about as they had had previous calls. I bought the ones 6 1/2 x 10 inches and cut them in half so they are 6 1/2 x 5 inches. The sheets are thin but work fine with the fat quarters and pieces of fabric 1 yd or less. I am measuring my pieces, marking it on color coded labels I got at Walmarts, they are neon colors, using orange for FQ, hot pink for 1 yd or less, green for holidays and special, yellow marked pastel, and others marked dark (these will be for my prints). I plan to use white labels for the plain colors and have them in a different section. I color coded them because I thought they would be easier to refile, especially if someone else in my family refiles them for me. I also decided any fabric less than 1/2 yard will go into scraps to cut into strips, etc.

My granddaughter (10) has been helping me wrap the small ones and she is also placing on the small coated paperclips at the top and bottom to hold the fabric and them she places them on the shelf. She was really interested to help me so I figured why not, I can always readjust them, but she has done a great job. Great bonding time for us and we talk about our next quilting project for her. She is going to try making a crazy quilt as you go so she can use all of the different stitches on her machine. School will be out soon and she will be able to pick out her fabric better once we get it organized on the shelves.

For now I am just placing them on the shelves as I do them in no order except the smaller ones on their own shelf. I will organize the types when I am done. I also plan to make a section for fabric I have bought to go together for use in a quilt.

The more I work, the more excited I get, 1st seeing fabric that I forgot I had bought, 2nd realizing this is a better way to organize and match fabrics for projects, 3rd I don't have to dig thru those plastic containers anymore, even though I had them separated by color and type. When I finally complete the job, I will post pictures of my shelves. It will take me a while because of other things I have to do at home, classes, and projects. I love spring, but it is a lot of work preparing the outside for summer and this year is worse for us, we have to replace the liner in the pool and since we are doing that, we decided to paint the deck which is really two large decks joined together (one goes around the pool with seating and lounge at one end, and a slide at the other (for the grandkids). Not to mention all of my flower planting, I love seeing flowers all around the decks. Must be connected to my love of material (the many colors and prints). Sally