View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvrazz
When cutting fabric how do you line up your fabric edge with the lines??? Do you do it the same with every cut, like inside the line, outside the line or middle of the line??? I took a class on precision piecing and she said to always put the edge of the fabric right in the middle of the line... On the Omnigrid ruler there is a tiny space between the lines and she said to have the fabric edge just showing in that space... I have been doing this and it seems to be making my piecing much more accurate...
It can make quite a bit of difference in the finished size of a block - especially if there are a lot of pieces in it.

Which also makes it more "interesting" if trying to work with several people -

I also noticed that after cutting - due to the space between the cutter and the edge of the ruler, that most of my pieces are "slightly" larger than whatever the template is.

My blocks are reasonably accurate using the my current methods. Some people are using devices (I think?) like accucut and the strip cutter template thingy (someone will know the name of it) and I'm wondering if those end up being more or less "exact" And, if so, do the seam allowances need to be more "scant"

(I worked with people that thought 0.005 inch deviation was sloppy) Don't even want to think about procedures that require accuracy to millionths or zillionths of an inch.

Good question - I've wondered that, too.