Old 05-17-2010, 04:39 PM
CarolLady

I know this is going to sound weird. I have a pretty good feeling it's not going to be the most beautiful (est) quilt - But I have flannel pieces from shirts of my dads, kids and ex and want to use up the scraps. I already made one quilt using some of the flannel pieces. Now, I am going to attempt to make a scrappy/crazy quilt with a foundation (which I have only read about online) the flannel scraps are all plaid! The colors probably won't all "go together".
My question is do I use 1/2" seam allowances for the flannel when I am going to sew it to a foundation? I have read where flannel has a tendency to unravel and that is where the question is coming from. I think the centers or base of my block will be blue jean material. (Because after making 6 blue jean quilts I still have pieces left. lol) And I want to try and use it up as well.
Unlike the crazy quilt I am not planning on doing any fancy stitching because I think it'd get lost in the plaids. I might try ziq zag stitching around some or all crazy pieces with a contrasting color. (still in the thinking stage on that part)
Thanks for any comments or advice.
Carol