View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 05:30 PM
seivmom

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Originally Posted by Holice
Will you describe how you spray baste. I saw a demo recently on the net about hanging it on the wall to baste.
I wish I had a wall big enough....I still use the floor.I spread out some flannel sheets I have repurposed for this. Smooth them out well. Next I spread the backing of the quilt face down, smoothing and straightening. Next I smooth the batting and cut off most of the excess, leaving about 2" on all sides. Then I center the top and smooth it into place.
Next, make sure you have the floor covered for several inches aroung the perimeter of the quilt, to catch overspray. Now, I lift back the top and batting and fold it over itself so half of the backing is exposed. I start along the folded edge and spray lightly as I move. Then I lift the batting over the backing and smooth the batting in place, patting and lifting and moving it as necessary till it's all smooth. Then I spray the batting the same way and smooth the top over the batting. I then do the other side the same way. When I am finished, I turn the whole sandwich over and smooth the backing one final time.
I use 505 spray and love it. My quilts stay together perfectly while quilting with NO pins to get in the way! You don't have to spray heavily...a light spray works fine.

This is how I do it....others may have a better way but this is what works best for me.... I hope this helps!

Ditter
I made a design/basting wall with one of the roll up patio door size blinds, i covered it with flannel using a hot glue gun. I can hang it on cup hooks close to the ceiling when I want to use it or roll it up and take it down when not in use.