View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 06:33 AM
omak

Originally Posted by GailG
Omak, you crack me up! Thanks, but I looked at that closeup and think I have it figured out. I do better with pictures than with numbers (and words :lol: -- I was a reading teacher teeheehee). I'll use some round number like 3 inches or 4 inches and go from there. So if I use 3', then that strip would be 9 1/2, right? Or is it 8 1/2"
3" strip ... would finish at 2.5" .... so the four patch (see, I have to use a lot of words to get to the point <g>) ... anyway ... the four patch would be unfinished at - -5.5" ... then another 3" strip for the "border" ... so your border parts would be cut at yes, 8.5" ... in order to have enough inches for the block, you would want a strip that would be 3" + 8.5" = 11.5 (for each color)
the finished block would be ... (had to go back and look <g>) Isn't it so fun to sit and have coffee with me while I figure out that I might just as well go back and double check my figures???
The strips you cut to get your square AND the "border" ... have to be cut 3" x 11.5" ... which will yield a block that is ten inches (I used the cheater sheet <g>) .... don't think of it as a cheater sheet ... it is more like a TOOL! LOL <wave>