Old 05-18-2010, 02:11 PM
sew cornie

I'm assuming by your SIL's statement saying they'll "already have one" means that this is their first child - and she has no idea that they'll need MANY more than one. Personally, I think the looks of most Pottery Barn quilts are very pretty (please don't shoot darts at me anyone), and for those who don't quilt, or who lack any knowledge of quilting and therefore don't know how to truly appreciate a handmade quilt, the Pottery Barn type quilts are a suitable alternative. All of us here understand the difference in not only quality, but of creating something out of love instead of by mass production. If I weren't a quilter, I'd probably buy one of those for myself. But having the knowledge and appreciation makes all the difference, doesn't it? I'm sorry for your hurt feelings, but am glad she was honest up front about telling you. She could have chosen to politely accept your loving gift, then buried it in the back of a closet. I would be much more hurt by that type of response. I agree with the others that you should make a quilt anyway, but maybe judge the timing of the gift for when it will be more appreciated - when the PB quilt has worn out, has too many stains on it, or when mom and dad realize they NEED more than one, or when the child is older, . . . lots of opportunities may arise. Best wishes to you!