Old 05-18-2010, 02:18 PM
clem55

Guess that happens to a lot of us.I made a beautiful aqua Grandmothers Fan quilt for son's first child, made a matching pillow even, and thre DIL went the pottery barn way too. It hurt, but then it was for their house so I just kept the one I made at my house. Granddaughter stayed with me everyday, and lots of nights, so she had more use from mine than the PB. I still have her quilt at my house, saving it for her first child ( someday. I also made her coming home outfit, dress, gown and cap. I never got to see it on her, not even a picture wearing it. Then the second baby, a boy, was on the way and I was doing hand embroidery on a shawl , his name date etc., plus cute baby things. My son quietly told me that her mom had just learned to knit and made a plain blue shawl for the coming home cover. So, the day my Ty came home, I took it over to see him, took the shawl, and my son ( who really loved it) handed me the baby, and got a picture of him and his shawl. They ended up using it for a wall hanging, and when the divorce happened, the shawl managed to get back here( son wrapped baby in it to come visit me) for me to save for him. Both kids love the things I made for them, and they know it is being saved for their first child. So, you make one and keep it at your house, and when the baby visits you, he wilhave his or her, veey own special blanket and it will mean a lot to him to know that later on. By the time it is twoyears old, they will undo the nursery, and "their " choice will be gone and baby won"t even remember what his nursery looked like, but "aunties" special blanket will still be at your house to use.