Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Okay now let's talk about the HSTS and the Boston Blocks I use to make this Quilt Block.

I use what I call my cut down method which means you sew pieces of fabric together and then you cut out a square from the center with a template.

You will need a 2 1/2" template to make a 12" quilt block.

If you don't have one I can send you a free one. Just let me know by email or by pm. My email is [email protected]

Ok you will need:

8 red/green Half Square Triangle blocks
8 blue/green Half Square Triangle blocks
8 Boston Blocks
4 red blocks for the center or fussy cut a square the same size as one 4 patch.

First let's address the Half Square Triangles

I cut two strips and sew them together. Then I iron the seam open and lay it face up on a cutting board. Using your template lay it on the fabric so that two opposite corners lay on the seam.
Cut out around the template and don't let the template move. The more attention you pay to this step the more accurate your square will be and the less frustration you will have. LOL

Continue to move the template up the strips and continue to cut out HSTs. After you have cut out all you have room for you can pull apart the strips and sew them together on the other side and continue to cut out HSTs.

Now that wasn't hard was it??

Two strips sewn together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69748[/ATTACH]

Lay the template on the seam and cut out a square with a template
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69749[/ATTACH]

Cut around the template carefully so your template doesn't move
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69750[/ATTACH]

HST block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69751[/ATTACH]

Move the template up and keep on cutting out HSTs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69752[/ATTACH]

HSTs cut out
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69753[/ATTACH]

Pull the strips apart and sew together and keep on cutting out HSTs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69754[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69743.jpe   attachment-69744.jpe   attachment-69745.jpe   attachment-69746.jpe   attachment-69747.jpe  

attachment-69748.jpe   attachment-69749.jpe