Old 05-19-2010, 06:10 AM
nana2

There are a lot of folks who "live life in the fast lane" and decorating a room, any room, needs to happen over night for them. Instant gradification!!! I would agree that places like Pottery Barn has a lot of items with a lot of great coordinated items. After all the manufacturers have thousands of yards of fabric all designed to match. A certain "collection" has colors that have been manufactured to have all of the colors a perfect match, etc. Some people will never know the joy and peace of creating an article with their own hands and some are not old enough to know the heart warming experience and memories of picking up something like a quilt that has been made by their long departed grandmothers. I have quilts made by my grandmother. Sometimes I can pick up one of those quilts and in my minds eyes be drawn back in time and remember how carefully she worked -- we would call this quality work. The materials she had to work with were sugar or flour sacks and feed sacks. She knew the quality of these fabrics were not as good as fabrics that were "store bought", but she was using items that were available during hard times. This did not affect her desire to do quality work. I would forget about making a quilt to "match" the baby's room and think about making a quilt that could be a "teaching" quilt. One that will entertain the child later when he is teething or can't get down for a nap. Holding a quilt and interacting with a baby with questions of "Where's the bird?", now let's find the cat, etc. etc. This will become a quilt that is a "keeper". I am lead to think that a quilt to "match" this child's room would probably be "moved" on out when it becomes time to decorate "a big kid"s" room, but a quilt that is dragged around by the child will have to stay.