Old 05-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Originally Posted by sandpat
Elle...Lesley starts talking about how she will quilt this one on page 210 of this thread...really good explanations.
Thanks Patti, off to have a read.

Elle
Thanks Lesley and Patti, for pointing me in the right direction to do this, I will get myself some batting, donīt know what we use at the club, but they have a huge bale of it and its cheap so next tuesday will start doing my hand quilting as Lesley is doing. I canīt see that it matters that much if the quilting doesnīt show on the back as long as it is attached through all three layers to hold it in place, just my 10 cents worth or una Euro as we say here.

I am dreading taking all that paper off though, any good tips out there, I have got myself an eyebrow plucker to get the little bits off, any other suggestions, I did think about soaking it off and I thought yuck there will be a mess of paper then and I will have to iron them all again.

By the way I have one more block to do and I have finished week 10.
Elle
Sorry long time no getting back, Elle - I've been doing the hated skirt extension.
I posted some pics of how I am quilting my Jane on:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28063-214.htm so that you can see how I have been quilting/joining my blocks. After the last pic I posted, I trimmed the batting behind the sashing so that the edges butted agains other, and I've just hand stitched the two edges together. So when all my rows are done, and then joined vertically, my top will look like a regular top from the front, and the back will look like a (more or less) complete sheet of batting.
Finally I am going to sandwich my top/batting with the backing, and then QID around each block to hold everything together. I pondered long and hard about how to do this. I haven't ever seen it anywhere else, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been. I have done quilt as you go before, but that entailed a lot of hand sewing on the back. Not too bad when you have 12in blocks, and need to line up the joins, but I didn't want to have to do that with all the small blocks. What I did want to do was get started on the quilting fairly soon - I didn't want to leave it right to the end and have to start at the beginning. Once I had done most of the applique, I began the quilting so that I had something to do in the evenings when I was too tired to do any machining.

When I got to the end of making my blocks, I only had the four corners to quilt, as I had caught up on all the rest, so for me, at least, my plan worked. I am also half way done with the plain, outer triangles, so it won't be long before I can get on with assembly.