Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by Suzanne57
Originally Posted by cjaye44
Billy, I am in the process of getting all the "ingredients" on your list. I have been everywhere trying to find Kerosene only to learn it is available only in the winter for heaters. I went to a small hardware store and they suggested mineral spirits as a substitute. Will this work?? Next, the Scotts pourable...all I get is "never heard of it". Customer service around here is zilch! Lastly, the grease. I found the Tri Flow oil but not the grease for the gears. There again, all I get is a look that says "Lady, you don't know what you're doing or what you're looking for". I've been to hardware stores, auto parts stores and Walmart. My son suggested a bicycle shop. I found one and they said they use a clear grease on the gears of all their high performance bikes. I also found a white lithium grease in a tube which is used for gears, at least it had a picture of gears on the packaging.

So...can you help?? I am so looking forward to this. I have already printed the first installment and put it in a binder for future reference. Thank you so much for taking the time to help us all out!!

I found kerosene at Lowe's in the paint dept. They were proud of it at $10.00 a gal but at least I found it.
I am going to quote both of you on this one!!! Lowes is the only place I have seen the Kerosene and I bought it there for <gulp> $10.:roll: Years ago you used to be able to buy it at the mom and pop gas stations but I dont know of many of those around. As far as the fuel oil goes I would probably stay away from that even though it MAY be the same I am just not sure. I have even thought about using Diesel fuel but them again I am not sure about that one either.

DO NOT USE MINERAL SPIRITS!!!!!

That will take the finish right off of the machine and there goes the whole thing.

Kerosene has the cleaning properties and it also lubricates and penetrates the parts of the machine. The 128 that I am using for this tute, it was sluggish and tight feeling when you turned the handwheel. But now it will spin almost effortlessly!

Now for the rest of the ingredients your looking for...... Scotts Liquid Gold is also at Lowes in the cleaning and polishing things. Also check your local Dollar Store or Grocery Store, I know Kroger has the polish.

The grease you can find at your local Singer dealer or go see if they have it at you local sewing/vacuum repair shop.

I hope this helps you out.

Billy