View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 03:58 AM
Holice
Banned

the so called "quilt police" get a bad rap. I observe that anyone who expresses a contrary or critical opinion are called "quilt police" Let me say it this way. Someone asked for advice about a situation that didn't work for them - points not matching, seams not meeting, puckering and bowing in the center of blocks, etc etc etc. Very little information is given about the situation on which an informed opinion or advice can be given. So we all fish around trying to get the specific info to give an informed answer. During this fishing spectulations are voiced and then finally someone says, perhaps in a kind way, "either your cutting or piecing was not correct". I inwardly resent being called the "quilt police" if I am giving my best guess about what caused the ultimate problem. Guess the alternate is to just keep quiet and allow the one posting to continue to do bad work (is this again the quilt police talking - to use the words "bad work"). I have learned in my own work that those things necessary to less frustrating quilting and more satisfying results is to:
Read the directions carefully.
Search for basic instructions, if you don't know how,
Develop good practices to cut and piece accurately.
Measure during the process to assure accuracy of finished product.
.....and when asking questions to give all the pertinent information. A statement like "my walking foot doesn't work, what am I doing wrong" just doesn't give sufficient information to suggest correction.
Now I am stepping off my soap box.