View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Rachelcb80

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
No, this is not what I meant. This board is fantastic for encouraging people in thier talents. I have asked advice myself and eagerly await what people have to say.
What I mean is when someone is commenting on a piece they have inherited, or have worked on from someone else, etc. Sometimes they will make a comment about the original crafters work. THAT is what bothers me. When someone ASKS for critism or opinions, that is fine. As I said, I have done that, and I have offered my opinions too. It is when the individual crafter is not present or has not posted thier own work, someone else posts it and critisizes, that's when it bothers me.
Otherwise, everyone is fantabulous and I love this board!
I actually caught myself doing just this a month or so ago. I bought a couple vintage quilts and that night was commenting to my husband about the quality of work in one. I made a negative comment but then had to stop and think and realize that if I were to try and construct this quilt in the same fashion the original quilter did (all by hand), my finished product would not be as nice. So I stuck my foot in my mouth and silently told the quilter I was sorry.

We all have our moments but I try and go by the old saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." :)