View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 10:01 AM
DeeJays10

Hi all,

This is one of the most frustrating parts of quilting for me, and, making blocks for two years I still have not mastered the cutting or sewing. These past two weeks I have taken all advice and made some practice blocks, noting where I placed my ruler, line off the fabric, on the fabric - also took the time to make several seems on my machine til I "got the perfect scant quarter inch seam".

The first block I had the line just off the edge of the fabric..........no, not right. I think that block will be a 5 1/2 inch when completed in a quilt, not the 6" I was aiming for. The next block came out just fine, using the line on the fabric. Now what happened with the actual quilt block for the wall hanging I am making............ grrh... Thought I had measured and sewed exactly like my second block, but it is almost a 6 1/2" block.

I have come to the conclusion that I will not ever be able to make more than one actual correct size block and I will now adjust to what comes out. I just will never be able to be in any swaps (I think that is where the quilt police live). Even so, I do enjoy the piecing process more than anything and I thank God I am flexible with some things in my life.

Donna