Old 05-21-2010, 10:05 AM
jljack

Hi All - Our guild here in Bakersfield is very friendly and welcoming. We have Greeters/Hostesses, a.m. and p.m. meetings. The sole responsibility of that person is to greet the members, visitors and newbies with a smile and information. If someone is a new member, we pair them up with a seasoned member so they can hear about all the activities, charities, etc. that are ongoing all year. We introduce them to at least 3 people so they "know" someone. The person at the door can make a HUGE contribution to that "welcoming" feeling of a guild. You might suggest starting such a position for your guilds. I have held that position for 2 years, and have LOVED it. I took it over a few months after I joined the guild, and I have met so many people. I learned a lot of names in the first few months, and you know people love to be called by their names. I always greet with a smile and a "glad to see you" attitude. It was so much fun, and when I ran for offices, people knew me and I was elected first try. I'm giving up the position because I will chair our next quilt show, and I can't do both...too much work!! Maybe you could volunteer to start that position? We have name tag door prize (if you wear your name tag you get a ticket in a drawing - door prize donated by LQS), birthday FQs in a basket (you get a FQ on your birthday month). Just fun stuff. Good luck!!