View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM
quiltilicious

Originally Posted by lucylockett
That is oh so inspiring!!! Could you elaborate as to the classes, books, etc. over the past year that brought you to this point? I've been purchasing books about from pictures to paintings and that sort of thing for several months now. You rock!!!
Thank you! One of the guilds I belong to had Bisa Butler in for a workshop, and I learned the technique from her.
http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?in...796&int_modo=1

It's a "progressive" fused applique method using an enlarged B&W photograph as the template. You create areas from dark to light and cut the pattern from the photograph, trace around the fabric and then fuse it to the lower layer. The trick was to cut out the entire head first in the "base" color and add highlights and shadows on top.

The photograph I was working from was also a very intense photo - especially the eyes.

The other thing Bisa taught us was to break away from using actual colors that may be present in the photo (or on the person). She had us look at our photos and list 3 emotions that the photo invoked in us and then had us translate the emotion into color. The workshop photo was a famous picture of Marylin Monroe.