Thread: Storing Quilts
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 02:54 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

purchase acid free storage boxes and acid free tissue paper, you roll the tissue paper and place it in the folds to help avoid creases, take them out every 3-6 months spread out and air, then refold in a different way to avoid crease lines.
another way which is great if it's possible is to lay them out on a guest bed, layers of quilts spread out, no creases to worry about and you have a (quilt show) on display all the time, you just peel them back one at a time to show them off...of course, you need a seldom/never used bed to do it this way and still have to rotate them on occassion and avoid sunlight.
you can purchase zippered blanket (bags) but get the ones that are a type of canvas, not the plastic ones, you want it to breath and not collect humidity, if you use those i would get them out more often to check on them.
cedar 'hope=chests' are NOT recommended, the acid in the cedar will discolor your quilts and cause other issues over the long haul, but i do think you can get acid free liners for some chests. i don't know about putting them into the blanket bag then into a chest....