Thread: Log cabin quilt
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 07:03 AM
humbird

Ok, I found my instruction sheet for this method. It was from Woman's Day Magazine, Aug. 1977. I knew it had been "several" years ago!! This is done in the flip and sew method......rather like the string quilting. The back is cut at 15.5 inches. The batting is cut at 15.5 inches. The logs and center sq. are cut 2.5 inches. You center the 2 center squares, right sides together on center of layered back and batting. Be sure they are centered exactly. Stitch 1/4 inch on one side. Flip, and add the next strip, etc. until block is finished with the last strip being 14.5 X 2.5 inches. Keeping the backing folded away from seam, right sides of block facing, sew together with 1/4 inch seam. Trim batting and fold backing over seam and hand stitch. The instruction sheet suggests making one block before cutting all the fabric. Is this clear as mud?

I would imagine you could use different size logs and adjust the back to the size of your prefered block size. I have thought about making one using maybe 2 inch (unfinished) logs. Might have to make a block and see how it works.

Hope this all helps. Good luck

Phyllis