View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

I and my DH are diabetic. I was just curious what others eat and how you manage your diet.

I count carbs and I am always learning more all the time. I read labels and watch how I put foods together.

I need to lose weight also but in the past my choices for a diet would be a piece of lean meat a veg and a fruit. I want more variety and would love to hear how you manage your diet. What are your favorite dishes etc.

One of my favorites is my Chicken soup. I make my own chicken broth from chicken backs I save and I use a few chicken breasts to add more meat. Then I simmer it with garlic and celery and onions and I add one jar of applesauce for a slightly sweet taste. Then I add the potatoes and carrots and let that cook. I let it cook for several hours all totaled. It reduces the broth and condenses the flavor. Then I add broccoli and peas at the end. I love it! and it is good for you too!
I freeze individual portions for later.

I deal with portion control by having home made frozen dishes or I buy individual portions of fruit. I do indulge in ice cream from time to time. I found individual portions that are only 28 carbs in one container. It is a small portion so I don't over eat.
It isn't cheap but it is worth it to keep me on track portion wise.
If I have these then I dont' go buy a lot of candy bars.

Got any good ideas??