Old 05-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by anglgrl
I recently purchased two haven't used my treadle yet it is a redeye 66-1 I am all new to vintage machines. my other one is solid black and from the 50's. I want to start using both of them to make quilts. I know they require alot of oiling since they get rusty when they are so old. So I put a few drops into the motor mistake now it smokes. I learned the hard way. Looking forward to learning from you. Thanks again.
Opps not good....... :oops: :oops: :oops:

But welcome to the Shop!!! Be sure to post photos of your machines and I do not think the motor is hurt. You might need to take it off and flip it upside down and see if you can drain the excess off, but just running it might do the trick also!! Just have the window open when you do it so you do not smoke the place up. :-D

Billy
No worries...you don't want to do it on a regular basis to be sure, (it can cause the motor to burn out) but disengage the clutch (as if to wind the bobbin) and then run it hell-bent-for-leather...it's going to smoke, but burn that extra oil out...
You should only need one drop of oil per port on the motor...and only every six months to a year...this from the guy that refused to sell me a new motor for my Kenmore because he said I didn't need one yet...told me that it was going to smoke some, but unless it actually lost power and didn't run anymore, then it was fine to use. (even tho it smoked!)