Old 05-24-2010, 05:19 PM
RatherB Quilting

Ok, so we live in a trailer park. To cut to the chase, the landlady in the past has gotten in trouble for not giving those who own thier trailers the STAR rebate (a tax break for school taxes for land owners). As a result, she is forcing everyone to file for the rebate. However, you have to OWN your trailer to be eligible. We don't really own it, we were given it to live in while we build our house. Now last year, we told the lady this, she let it go for us and didn't raise our lot rent. This year however, she's lost touch with reality!
She sent a letter saying that she was going to raise our rent by twenty-five dollars/month if we filed for STAR....SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS if we don't. I called the tax office and they told me she's off her rocker. Even if we had done the rebate...our savings would have been 41.00 for the whole year! Which is a tax break of like...3-4 dollars a month...and she is expecting a rent increase of 75.00 per month!!!!!
Now, my question is...does anyone know whether we can fight this ridiculous rent increase? I know the landlord tennant act gives tennants much more rights than the landlord (being a landlord ourselves) but I am unfamiliar with it really since we've never had a problem before ourselves or with our renters.
There has to be a way to report this lady for her insanity, or a way to prevent her from penalizing us for a rebate we aren't even eligible for and that would save her only 41.00/year even if we were.
I hope all this makes sense, and I really really hope someone can help!
Thanks in advance! I am so thankful for you guys!