View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 AM
wildyard

For years, our trips to our cabin in the woods was the same way, I did it all while DH and the kids had all the fun. It was the way DH's parents did it. Mine never went camping or anything like that in my memory. One year, I just flat refused to go. I told him I was tired of being the only one who didn't get a vacation. When I went over the details of how things broke down, he did see how unfair things were and we changed the way it was done from then on.
After that, everyone packed their own things. If they forgot it, oh well. Of course the youngest had some help but took most of the responsibility. Each person, child and adult, took responsibility for a day of meals, and a day of clean up; including menu planning and shopping list. The rule was, no complaining about the food someone else made. And when we got home, everyone unloaded their own stuff, put it away, and helped with the laundry.
Not only did I have more free time, but we all became closer as a family as we shared the laughs and experiences of learning and growing in skill as cooks and packers.