View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 06:51 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lavandula girl
Holy monkeybuckets, that is fabulous!!!! (Also, I would love to see your brother's tattoo.) Did you free hand the pattern, or use an enlarged copy of his inkwork? My daughter did a painting of a yin/yang, dragon/tiger when she was in 6th grade. It's one of her favorite images, and I'd love to quilt it for her! :thumbup:
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I am really quite pleased with this quilt myself.

I free handed it while he modeled for me. I then traced a couple of copies of my freehand drawing onto tracing paper so I had more then one. I transferred it with transdoodle paper and a stylus and remarked it as I went along with my Fons and Porter mechanical pencil with white ceramic lead as the transdoodle is like chalk and rubs off easy. I only got a few tears in the tracing when transferring so I will probably be able to use the same tracing for one more transfer. Oh and the size I said before, I was mistaken the dragon is 15" long and the tiger is 14". And they are placed like a yin-yang on either side of a 14" Mariners Compass. The center of the quilt has a large 32 point MC (36") and I hand quilted additional rays from the compass (so between pieced points and quilted points it is a 64 point compass) and then lines radiating out from it. I also drafted a 7 1/2" compass and hand quilted that all around in the large open areas, there are 8 of those. The center medallion and quilted compasses are then surrounded by flying geese that form a square on point all around it. The yin-yang dragon/tiger compass are in the remaining 4 corners. It is all "warm" colors of reds yellows, golds and oranges done on a very dark brown, almost black fossil fern background