Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 AM
quilterguy27

Thanks I appreciate your input, but I still have my heart set on the FW 221. I will check out the others, but I really think I'm going to hold out for a FW 221.
Originally Posted by kapatt
Hi Quilterguy,

You wrote:"I've been scouring CL for a good deal on a Singer 221 FW. If I can't find this one as my top choice, what would you reccommend as #2, #3, etc. on the list. I kinda have my heart set on the 221 FW tho, but I don't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars on one either."

I'm about a month behind on reading the posts (it's been a busy month) but I would like to put in my 2cents. If you want the featherweight to take with you places, the 301 might work just as well. It is a little bit bigger and weighs just a few pounds more. If you are looking for something small and compact that stores well, my son said that the 99 works well for him. The 99 comes in two different types of cases. One is the wooden Bentwood case and the other one is more of a suitcase case. I gave my 99 to him a few years ago (one in the suitcase type case) and he likes it because it is compact. I'm now looking for a 99 to make into a handcrank and asked him to trade for one of my other machines. He said he would only trade for one of my featherweights because they are small and compact.