Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 AM
978gray

I learned to sew at the local Singer Sewing Center (I know I'm dating myself but back when they had fabric and patterns too). My mom signed me up for summer sewing classes I was eight. There were 12 in the class I was the youngest.

The first thing I made was a draw string bag. The next thing the class made was a piece of clothing. I choses a sleeveless A-line dress. It was kelly green with large bright pink polka dots.

There was a contest Singer was sponsoring at the time. I won the store contest and won a battery operated small record player - I was very proud of that. Then I went on to a larger area contest. We had to model our dresses. I won that one too. That one was cool because I won a portable sewing machine (Which by the way I still have and still works!!!!!) Nothng fancy just straight stitch and zig zag and button hole.

But at 8 having your own sewing machine was pretty special!!!

Then there was a larger district where the dress was sent - but I did not win that.

I remember being upset that I had to mail my dress away. I did get it back, but by then summer was over and of course the next summer it no longer fit. I think the dress is still in my mother's cedar closet. Someday I will have to go and see if I can find it.