View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Carla P

Originally Posted by taketimetosew
My biggest problem is that on the bottom it looks like the thread could be pulled out in one pull. So it has to be the tension setting. The practice piece has a few places where the bottom thread looks like it is laying on the top of the material. Sometimes I wonder if I am pulling it too fast. I know it takes practice.
I would suggest you lower your bobbin tension a bit and MAYBE increase your top tension a little (if the bobbin tension adjustment doesn't fix the balance). Also, as already mentioned, irregular speed can cause some of this problem. Another thing to consider is your thread/needle size combo. Smaller combo sizes seem to help relieve some of these problems. For example, I use a size 70/10 Microtex Sharp needle with a size 60 or 70 thread, or a size 60 needle with a size 70 or 100 thread (especially for background fill). These smaller sizes tend to create stitches easier than the larger thread/needle combos. They also reduce the birds nest effects, tiny knots on the back (stitch build-up), allow for tighter fill stitching if you want, and reduce thread pop-ups (dots of bobbin threads showing through on the front like a dotted line or visa versa). The idea of going smaller is usually intimidating to a beginner, but I believe the smaller combos make it easier to achieve consistancy and more importantly confidence as a new free motion quilter (mistakes are much less evident). Ceannastahr mentioned being nervous and she is right; being nervous will cause you to mess up EVERY time. I use these types of combos to teach new FMQs, and their confidence is almost immediately established which allows them to start learning and developing good habits. I hope this helps a little.