View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by KenZ
The cord for the 501 is not the same as the 401. The 501 plugs into the machine with only one plug. The 401 female receptical on the power cord has three holes and the machine has two pins. This is the way my power cord is for my 404 and it is also shown in the 401 manual this way. The lever on the bottom right of your machine is the Troat Plate Positioning lever. The knob in the center is the Stitch Selector. Do not turn the screws on the front of this knob for now. I first clean my machines with a damp cloth and Dawn dish soap. I use lighter fluid for the dried up oil and greese. Lots of Q tips and cotton balls from the 99 cent store.
Thanks Ken I have never had the chance to play with any of the Slant shanks until I got this 500A and I have not even messed with it yet. I have way to many machines to service for paying customers that need to be taken care of first.

As far as using lighter fluid to clean the oil and grease off of a machine I would think that would be a bad idea especially if it is an older machine that used a Varnish or a Shellac to protect the decals. You might as well clean one with Lacquer thinner and strip it to the bare metal.

The only reason it worked for you is because you have an Enamel based paint on your machine. If I did that to any of my treadle machines I would be missing decals, japan, and it would destroy a perfectly good machine.

Billy