View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Joyce

These are my tips for FM quilting;
You definitely need to have a balanced tension. Use a white on the top and black on the bottom so you can easily tell what's happening. If you are getting loops on the bottom, then turn tension to a higher number.
Always remember to lower the feed dogs as well as to lower the presser foot on your machine even if you are not using a foot.
Nubby gloves is a must in my opinion, in order to move your fabric while holding it taut.
I started practicing with a piece of large motif fabric with a lot of space between the motifs. This fabric was made into a sandwich with batt plus backing.
I started with outlining the motif design. I then continued with "echo" quilting lines by just continuing to outline the motif.
You can then switch to "stipple" style, which is small, size of a pea, all-over quilting, but don't cross over previous sewn lines.
Then there is "meadering" which is similar to stippling but just much larger curving loops, still not crossing over previous stitchlines.
You can also practice leaves, vines, feathers etc.
You can always switch the upper thread to a darker color and just do it all over again. This is just for practice so get the most out of it.
I would also reccomend taking a crayon and paper, even old newspaper, and just start free-handing feathers etc. to get the feel of the movement needed to do this. It will really free up your inhibitions when you know you can just toss your practice sheets. You can also sew onto the newspaper sheets with your sewing machine if you want to try it. You will need to replace your needle when finished.
Here's to free-motion freedom!
Joyce Raab