Old 05-29-2010, 11:50 AM
maryb119

I have two quilts made by my great grandmothers mother. Ggma and her sister were very close and the sister had no children so when she passed away she had my grandfather in charge of the estate. He gave me her hand made cedar chest and inside were "two old blankets that I could let the kids finsh wearing out." I took them out and refolded them and put them back in the cedar chest (which is a beautiful piece of furniture that I treasure). About 20 years later, the city library had a guest speaker who was talking about old quilts so I put them in a grocery bag and took them in for her to look at. I carried them home as if they were made of glass. One is dated circa 1860 to 1870 with the newest fabric in it being an 1876 print put out just for the United States Centenial. The other was dated circa 1920. Both were made by the same person.....my ggg grandma, who was 1/2 Cherokee. Quilts are full of history. These old quilts we ae talking about, are the real works of art because so many of them are made with a newspaper pattern and cut out with scissors. The makers were very skilled for them to look so good and all done by hand.