Thread: Facebook
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 06:32 PM
shaverg

Originally Posted by mzsooz
here is excerpt from the article:
"Rutberg isn't sure how criminals got his password, but he thinks he probably did fall for a phishing e-mail. Because Facebook regularly contacts its users through e-mail, and includes links in those e-mails to login pages, the format is ripe for phishers. It's easy to imitate Facebook e-mails and simply send users clicking to a look-a-like login page that steal passwords."

Facebook has never contacted me through email. There is always more to the story.

We just have to be vigilent. The people that perpetrate these scams must be brilliant. Why can't they just use that talent for GOOD?!!!! Amazes me.
I think one of the points is anyone can be hacked. Not only did he work for Microsoft he is a manager.

Whenever you are ask to friend someone that is coming through facebook and can be a way of phishing. I also was constantly receiving emails through facebook. I was a member for about 3 years before this happened to me and I only had an initial and a photo, nothing else. It came in through one of my family or friends all of who were familiar to me. I never friended anyone I did not know. It was two years before I even put up a photo and everyone laughed at me because I refused and also didn't use my name. The problems is the hackers actually take control of your account and you cannot get in to stop it or change your password. It is ugly.

Just be careful. And as far as facebook emailing you, I get them everyday asking me to sign back up. I delete them all.

And facebook will contact you for other things, it just depends on what you are signed up for. I only had immediate family and friends. I didn't use anything like the quilting group or any other interests. Also if you deactivate your account that does not remove the information. You have to contact them and ask them to delete your account. If you deactivate and sign back up everything comes back up as it was before. I know this because they must have ask me 4 or 5 times do you understand if we delete you, you will have to put in all your photos and info again. If we just deactivate you when you reactivate it will come back the way it was. They own your info.

I understand they are trying to make it safer. In fact it was on the news last night they are working set more security options. It will be a long time if ever before I trust them again.