View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 12:32 PM
dsb38327

Hi there, I am the person who suggested you make a post so we can all put our heads together on this. I notice someone else was having the same issue with theirs. A quick call to the customer service number might not hurt just in case they are aware of a common defect.
If you want to do some trouble shooting I am game and
if I don’t say some of this right please don’t take offense. I am not an expert, I am a learner. Someone helped me and I would like to pay it forward if I can. I have good intentions.
I have noticed with the EX660 and the SQ9000 the plastic flipper on the bobbin thread guide is ?pliable?. It seems to move (give) very easily. For the beauty of the things the machine is designed to do I am willing to coddle it if necessary.
…………………………………………………………….
It sounds as if the thread on your SQ9000 may be binding.
Let's see if we can isolate the problem to the thread part of the machines operation.
The default stitch is fine. Is the utility stitch light lit and do you have the J presser foot on?
Remove the presser foot and probably the needle so you can get to the needle plate. (page 6 #9 in the manual). Remember how nice and flat the needle plate is before you take it off. You want it to look this nice and flat when you put it back on. I have to use a quarter to get the screws out of the needle plate. Remove the needle plate and clean anything you can see. I use old (clean) makeup brushes, (art) paint brushes from the toy section of the dept store, whatever you have. Brush away any lint you see and look for a stray thread maybe.
When you feel pretty good about it put the needle plate and presser foot back on.
…………………………………………………..
There is a good chance your needle is bent by now, let's put in a new needle if you have one. 3 more 75/11s are in that little foil packet that came with the machine.
Take the thread off, the bobbin out, and the bobbin case out.
Put the presser foot down and sew. Did you get the clunk and error message?
.................................................. ..
Thread the top thread.
Your thread spool: Is it the kind of thread spool that has a nich cut in the side of the top to hold the thread end until you buy it and start to use it? Sometimes the thread will hang in this nich. Let's be sure that didn't happen.
Now, put your presser foot down, hold the end of the thread and sew slowly. (Putting tension on the (upper) thread by holding it between your fingers.)
Did it perform properly with no error message?
Now to bring the bobbin into play.
If the bobbin case is not seated properly in the bobbin race it can cause the thread to bind.
Identify the markings in the manual on your bobbin case and the bobbin race with those markings on your actual bobbin case and bobbin race. ( Page 70).
Put your bobbin case into the bobbin race. Turn the machine wheel by hand to be sure the bobbin case is seated in the bobbin race. It will pop out if it isn't. They are not always easy to get in there the way they want to be. Just do it again until you are comfortable doing it. (If you aren't comfortable with it quite yet just take your needle out and you won't hurt anything while you make friends with it.)
Again hold the top thread and sew.
Did it perform properly with no error message?
…………………….
We can only use the bobbin size that came with this machine.
Did the bobbin wind nicely? If it did not let’s wind another bobbin for the trouble shooting.
To load the bobbin the thread pulls away from you when you set it in the bobbin case. Follow the bobbin thread path and put the plastic tabs back on.
It seems the bobbin thread comes out of the thread path far to easy on my EX660 and the SQ9000. This seizes the bobbin thread, pulls against the top thread and bends or breaks the needle.
See if it will sew now.
Did you get the error message?
…………….
If you still got the error message would you mind rethreading the top and bobbin with a different name brand thread and trying it just to rule it out. It shouldn’t matter but we can try it just in case.
I have now used several different brand names on mine and they all worked fine once I knew that the bobbin case was being pulled out of the bobbin race.
……..
I wanted to cry so many times because I was waiting for that needle to break. When I started seeing that bobbin pop up and theeeeeen my needle broke I felt so much better because I knew why the needles were breaking. (I broke only one on the sq9000 but when I saw it happen it was like a video replay of watching the bobbin pop up on the ex660 and then I knew!)
The best of luck on this.
If we can’t get it we will see what their customer service number has to say.
Regards, Dorothy