View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 05:59 AM
Feathers

Originally Posted by Bevanger
ok dumb question here from a new quilter. the squares look simple enough with the strips around them, but how does the plain square come in? is there a pattern for this? Maybe i can try it......
Bev, the only dumb question is the question NOT asked. I'll try to answer your question...sometimes I'm not really good at written explainations but I'll try.

The PLAIN block is cut at whatever size you plan to use. The STRIPE blocks are made using strips of the different colors of fabric then cut to the same size as your PLAIN block. So, if your PLAIN block is 10 inches, For example, the multi-colored strip block after sewing the strips together should be 10 inches square, also. Once your multi-stiped blocks and your plain blocks are cut out then you just arrange them with every other one being Plain a PLAIN block. Second row, would be the opposite block arrangement. If in the first row you started with a striped block then in the second row you'd start with a Plain block. You might want to download a picture of the quilt MomTo3 sent in so you know how you want your stripe blocks arranged in the quilt. She has some of the stripes going up and down and others going crosswise around the Plain block. I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you.