Thread: Fabric choice
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 02:45 AM
StitchinJoy

Originally Posted by Pat R
Will choosing fabric become easier? I'm new at quilting and when I try to choose fabric on my own it's usually boring and within the same color family. I didn't think it would be so hard but....
You got some great advice here. Learning what you like is a big part of the process. The more quilts you see, the more you learn. Go to shows, join a guild, look at sites online including the photo pages on this quilting board.

I like looking at antique quilts for inspiration-- in colors, patterns, settings and borders. This site has thousands of antique quilts to view-- a virtual quilt show! http://www.quiltindex.org/index.php

Many people think that all antique quilts are dull and brown, but that's not accurate. Many have bright true reds and a skyfull of blues, and clean crisp white backgrounds. Many PA quilts are bright Turkey red, cheddar orange, sky blue and pea soup green. Obviously no one was telling those quiltmakers that there were "right" and "wrong" color combinations! Some of their fabric choices are astounding-- they are eye-popping!

I'm working on a two-color quilt now inspired by one on the Quilt Index website. It is so bright that it strobes. I'll show you when I've finished, I promise!

Don't be discouraged when you're pulling fabrics for your next quilt. It should be a big part of the fun! Remember what Rick Nelson sang-- you can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself.

I think you'll find that it will get easier, the more you do it. Practice practice practice.