Thread: Cutting Mat
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:33 AM
BKrenning

Originally Posted by Linda B
About this 'self-healing' -- I haven't seen too much of that on my mats. Am I missing something?
I think most mats are "self-healing" but some do a better job than others. My gray mats are harder so they are harder to cut through but eventually the rotary cutter will wear a path in it and it doesn't "heal". The green mats have paths all over them but they're made out of some softer material that kind of mushes itself back together but batting & especially fleece & flannel will get stuck in the groove when cutting and it can't mush itself back together. If I stop & clean the mat off every so often, it lasts longer but fleece is so fine & fuzzy that it gets stuck in the grooves and I can't get it all out which causes a bump in the mat and the rotary cutter skips or swerves when you hit a bump. After you get a few bumps in your mat--you'll quickly be replacing it or turning it over until you can get a replacement.

I don't use the lines on my cutting mats, either unless it's to line up several strips to be cut at one time ala Eleanor Burns. I only use my rulers for measuring & I only use 1 brand of ruler because I found at the hard way what happens when you mix brands.