Thread: FAQ on Binding
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 03:31 PM
candi

When I took a beginners quilting class (first sewing experience) and pieced my first top, the teacher took the last session in class to talk about finishing your quilt with the sandwiching, quilting, trimming and binding. I remember other people taking the class agreeing on how difficult binding is for them, at that point of course I had no experience what so ever. When it came time for me to finish that quilt, I really thought quilting it was the toughest thing I had to do, preparing the double-folded strips, adding the binding and mitering the corners was not that difficult for me (a real surprise if you know me).

With that said, as a beginner, I think the hardest part of binding is joining the end tails together so that they lay flat and nice. Maybe you could give hints, tips and suggestions on how best to accomplish that.

Another thing I always wonder about is the size of the binding. The teacher of the class I took suggested 2 1/4 inch strips. I accidentally cut 2.5-inch strips but liked the look, so continued to do so. But I often wonder about that. Perhaps you could discuss size options.